Carbon Monoxide Prevention

Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is a colourless, odourless gas that is highly dangerous. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a common yet preventable cause of death worldwide. Each year in Ireland there are, on average, six fatalities from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by an appliance that burns fossil fuels such as oil, gas or coal.

When carbon monoxide is inhaled into the body it combines with the blood, preventing it from absorbing oxygen. If a person is exposed to carbon monoxide over a period, it can cause illness and even death. Carbon monoxide is often called the ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see or smell it.



Know the Danger Signs


Watch out for any of the warning signs that your appliance is not functioning properly:

  • Staining, sooting or discolouration around the appliance
  • Condensation on walls/windows
  • A strange smell when the appliance is on
  • Flu-like symptoms, such as drowsiness or headaches
  • A yellow or orange flame where normally blue for a gas appliance.

Safety Advice


  • Use appliances only for the PURPOSE for which they were designed, e.g. do not use a cooker to heat a room or the use of barbecues indoors or under cover
  • Ensure your appliances are installed and serviced annually by a Registered Gas Installer, Registered Oil Technician or qualified service agent for your fuel type
  • Make sure room vents are not blocked and there is adequate ventilation Keep flues and chimneys unblocked Make sure all chimneys are regularly swept and kept clear
  • If you suspect an appliance may be faulty, stop using it immediately and arrange for a safety inspection Ensure adequate ventilation in bulk storage facilities for wood chip


    Carbon Monoxide Alarms


    Our Registered Gas Installers will supply and fit carbon monoxide alarms in addition to servicing your appliance/s.